From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some council topics for March meeting
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:33:32
1 On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 02:12:48 -0700 "Daniel Robbins"
2 <drobbins.daniel@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > It's one thing to make a contribution or submit a patch - it's quite
4 > another to be actively and very significantly involved in a key
5 > technical project that is supposedly defining an interoperability spec
6 > for the key distinguishing feature of Gentoo, namely Portage.
7
8 I'd argue that the ebuilds, and not Portage, are the key distinguishing
9 feature of Gentoo. Portage is just a way of using the ebuilds...
10
11 > Right now, you're effectively doing an end-run around the entire
12 > Gentoo management structure. Fortunately for you, it doesn't look like
13 > anyone cares.
14
15 Not really. We're working on a document, as requested by the Gentoo
16 management structure, and when it's at a good enough state that we're
17 ready to have it discussed, it will be opened up for comments by Gentoo
18 developers, and once they're satisfied it will be submitted to the
19 Gentoo management structure for approval or otherwise.
20
21 This is fairly standard practice...
22
23 What is not standard is all the 'input' from third parties who don't
24 know what PMS is, who is working on it, what its goals are or what it
25 says. I get the impression that a lot of this comes about merely
26 because a few people who don't have anything better to do see certain
27 names associated with it and decide to go on the attack -- knowledge of
28 the topic at hand is considered largely irrelevant...
29
30 > Really, I find this weird and ambiguous and you should probably be
31 > reinstated as a dev or be bumped off of PMS, which should be managed
32 > by Gentoo developers only.
33
34 Why does it matter whether it's written by Gentoo developers? What
35 matters is that it's written by people who know what they're talking
36 about and who can write reasonably decent technical material, and as the
37 primary author of the devmanual, a whole load of ebuilds, several
38 eclasses and of the only fully independent reimplementation of ebuild
39 (Pkgcore is in parts based upon Portage code -- whether or not this is
40 a good thing is irrelevant to this discussion), I'd say I qualify in
41 that area...
44 Ciaran McCreesh
45 Mail : ciaranm at ciaranm.org
46 Web : http://ciaranm.org/