From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] bugs.g.o: Killing VERIFIED state, possibly introducing STABILIZED
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 17:27:06
1 On 06/17/2016 07:05 PM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 > On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 18:46:16 +0200
3 > Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 06/17/2016 06:41 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
6 >>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand
7 >>> <k_f@g.o> wrote:
8 >>>> On 06/17/2016 03:58 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
9 >>>>>
10 >>>>> That could actually be generalized. I could see many types of
11 >>>>> bugs where the issue is with upstream, and we might want to track
12 >>>>> the progress as upstream implements a fix, releases it, and then
13 >>>>> it is stabilized on Gentoo. So, maybe we need another state to
14 >>>>> track in upstream's VCS vs the Gentoo repo.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> For a great deal of this we have UPSTREAM keyword, and also
17 >>>> combination with PATCH keyword if we've submitted an own patch.
18 >>>
19 >>> Usually we mean UPSTEAM to mean that the issue is an upstream issue,
20 >>> and should be pursued there. Usually we don't use it to mean that
21 >>> the issue IS resolved upstream but we're waiting for a
22 >>> release/etc. I'm
23 >>
24 >> Well, the issue is still upstream in that case, so I don't see that
25 >> necessarily being different, we're still waiting for a release
26 >> upstream to make a new downstream ebuild and stabilize it, so it fits
27 >> with UPSTREAM
28 >>
29 >>> not sure how important the distinction is in practice. The portage
30 >>> team could of course use it differently.
31 >>
32 >> Yeah, I'm talking ebuilds here, not portage and similar bugs, I think
33 >> your point of having own keyword for portage and the likes makes sense
34 >> to distinguish it.
38 > Then everyone PLEASE stop referring to the Gentoo ebuild tree as
39 > portage. Reserve portage for the upstream PACKAGE MANAGER.
40
41 indeed
45 > Further, I have always treated bugs about portage code like any
46 > other upstream. Only difference being that the portage upstream bug
47 > system is the same bugzilla used for the Gentoo ebuild tree.
48 > So, there will be some differences in how bugs are treated.
49 > When we as upstream commit patches for bugs we tag them as InVCS and
50 > close them when they are in a release. We have not kept them open
51 > until that release has been stabilized unless we've missed closing it
52 > or been distracted and forgotten to clean them up.
53 >
54 > If you want to track that at the ebuild level, you could do that, but
55 > would need to identify it's tracker in a clear way to distinguish it
56 > from code bugs.
59 It might not be much of an issue as long as we use proper categories for
60 own hosted repos, then InVCS function is overloaded and means different
61 things for the ebuild bugs and the upstream package bugs without any
62 conflict. Would potentially result in some duplication of material bugs
63 though hence that might be easier by adding a new keyword with explicit
64 separate meaning for things.
67 Kristian Fiskerstrand
68 OpenPGP certificate reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
69 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3