From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] bugs.g.o: Killing VERIFIED state, possibly introducing STABILIZED
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 17:06:12
1 On Fri, 17 Jun 2016 18:46:16 +0200
2 Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 06/17/2016 06:41 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > > On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand
6 > > <k_f@g.o> wrote:
7 > >> On 06/17/2016 03:58 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
8 > >>>
9 > >>> That could actually be generalized. I could see many types of
10 > >>> bugs where the issue is with upstream, and we might want to track
11 > >>> the progress as upstream implements a fix, releases it, and then
12 > >>> it is stabilized on Gentoo. So, maybe we need another state to
13 > >>> track in upstream's VCS vs the Gentoo repo.
14 > >>
15 > >> For a great deal of this we have UPSTREAM keyword, and also
16 > >> combination with PATCH keyword if we've submitted an own patch.
17 > >
18 > > Usually we mean UPSTEAM to mean that the issue is an upstream issue,
19 > > and should be pursued there. Usually we don't use it to mean that
20 > > the issue IS resolved upstream but we're waiting for a
21 > > release/etc. I'm
22 >
23 > Well, the issue is still upstream in that case, so I don't see that
24 > necessarily being different, we're still waiting for a release
25 > upstream to make a new downstream ebuild and stabilize it, so it fits
26 > with UPSTREAM
27 >
28 > > not sure how important the distinction is in practice. The portage
29 > > team could of course use it differently.
30 >
31 > Yeah, I'm talking ebuilds here, not portage and similar bugs, I think
32 > your point of having own keyword for portage and the likes makes sense
33 > to distinguish it.
37 Then everyone PLEASE stop referring to the Gentoo ebuild tree as
38 portage. Reserve portage for the upstream PACKAGE MANAGER.
41 Further, I have always treated bugs about portage code like any
42 other upstream. Only difference being that the portage upstream bug
43 system is the same bugzilla used for the Gentoo ebuild tree.
44 So, there will be some differences in how bugs are treated.
45 When we as upstream commit patches for bugs we tag them as InVCS and
46 close them when they are in a release. We have not kept them open
47 until that release has been stabilized unless we've missed closing it
48 or been distracted and forgotten to clean them up.
49
50 If you want to track that at the ebuild level, you could do that, but
51 would need to identify it's tracker in a clear way to distinguish it
52 from code bugs.
53 --
54 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>