From: Nicolas Bock <nicolasbock@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New package neomutt
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 09:35:57
1 On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 10:10:04AM +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 >On czw, 2017-08-10 at 09:54 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 >> On 10-08-2017 09:40:30 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >> > On czw, 2017-08-10 at 06:58 +0200, Nicolas Bock wrote:
5 >> > > On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 09:11:19AM +0200, Nicolas Bock wrote:
6 >> > > > Hi,
7 >> > > >
8 >> > > > I would like to add neomutt to the tree. This new package is meant as
9 >> > > > an alternative and not a replacement of the existing mutt package.
10 >> > >
11 >> > > Thanks for all of the great suggestions and feedback!
12 >> > >
13 >> > > This is round two. I have update the ebuild with all your
14 >> > > suggestions. I have also added support for eselecting between mutt
15 >> > > and neomutt. Before the eselect ebuild can land though, we need to
16 >> > > rename the mutt binary so that the managed link can be called
17 >> > > mutt.
18 >> >
19 >> > What for? How many people are exactly in the dire need of having both
20 >> > installed simultaneously and switching between them? If you really can't
21 >> > learn to type the new command, add IUSE=symlink blocking original mutt
22 >> > and be done with it. Don't add more unowned files to /usr by another
23 >> > poorly written eselect module.
24 >>
25 >> Be nice! No need to be bitchy here (and in the rest of your review).
26 >> Nicolas is just trying.
27 >>
28 >> Me, as maintainer of Mutt, thought it was a good idea, because it allows
29 >> people to easily have both installed at the same time, which in this
30 >> interesting time for both projects is not a weird thing to have.
31 >
32 >I don't see how eselect helps that. People can just run neomutt by
33 >typing... neomutt, right? It works without the symlink, right?
34
35 It does of course. What's appropriate here depends on whether we
36 think somebody might want to have both mutt and neomutt installed
37 at the same time. If we don't allow this use case, we don't have
38 to worry about eselect and the neomutt binary will be called
39 'mutt' (as it is called by upstream already). If we do allow this
40 use case, being able to eselect makes sense because then the
41 binary is still always called 'mutt'.
42
43 >> If there is a policy/move to get rid of eselect, then sorry, I am not
44 >> aware of that. I can live with a symlink USE-flag. It doesn't seem
45 >> very elegant to me, but it would work for this scenario.
48 >The move is against orphaned files in /usr that are randomly changed by
49 >runtime tools rather than the package manager.
50
51 I don't quite understand the problem. Doesn't the package manager
52 take care of symlinks installed by the eselect package?
53
54 >--
55 >Best regards,
56 >Michał Górny