From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New package neomutt
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2017 08:10:20
1 On czw, 2017-08-10 at 09:54 +0200, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 10-08-2017 09:40:30 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > On czw, 2017-08-10 at 06:58 +0200, Nicolas Bock wrote:
4 > > > On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 09:11:19AM +0200, Nicolas Bock wrote:
5 > > > > Hi,
6 > > > >
7 > > > > I would like to add neomutt to the tree. This new package is meant as
8 > > > > an alternative and not a replacement of the existing mutt package.
9 > > >
10 > > > Thanks for all of the great suggestions and feedback!
11 > > >
12 > > > This is round two. I have update the ebuild with all your
13 > > > suggestions. I have also added support for eselecting between mutt
14 > > > and neomutt. Before the eselect ebuild can land though, we need to
15 > > > rename the mutt binary so that the managed link can be called
16 > > > mutt.
17 > >
18 > > What for? How many people are exactly in the dire need of having both
19 > > installed simultaneously and switching between them? If you really can't
20 > > learn to type the new command, add IUSE=symlink blocking original mutt
21 > > and be done with it. Don't add more unowned files to /usr by another
22 > > poorly written eselect module.
23 >
24 > Be nice! No need to be bitchy here (and in the rest of your review).
25 > Nicolas is just trying.
26 >
27 > Me, as maintainer of Mutt, thought it was a good idea, because it allows
28 > people to easily have both installed at the same time, which in this
29 > interesting time for both projects is not a weird thing to have.
30
31 I don't see how eselect helps that. People can just run neomutt by
32 typing... neomutt, right? It works without the symlink, right?
33
34 > If there is a policy/move to get rid of eselect, then sorry, I am not
35 > aware of that. I can live with a symlink USE-flag. It doesn't seem
36 > very elegant to me, but it would work for this scenario.
39 The move is against orphaned files in /usr that are randomly changed by
40 runtime tools rather than the package manager.
43 Best regards,
44 Michał Górny