From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Qt3 deprecation
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:54:22
1 On Tue, July 28, 2009 09:29, Hanno Böck wrote:
2 > While I fully understand that people want to deprecate "old cruft", I
3 > assume this is far too early. (just think back how long it took us to
4 > deprecate gtk+-1)
5
6 I fully agree with this thought. The qt4 world is simply nowhere near
7 as complete and usable (nor stable either, which is worse) as the qt3
8 one is.
9
10 > I'm still on kde 3 and my previous three attemps to switch to kde 4 all
11 > ended up in the conclusion that kde 4 is far from being stable yet. It has
12 > tons of regressions.
13
14 kde4 is just unusable for serious world. Magnificent work, yes, and some
15 programs can be used without too much problem. But kde4 as a whole just
16 can't be still compared to kde3.x
17
18 > The amount of qt3 apps not having a sane or just no qt4 port yet is
19 > probably enormous. I also maintain such packages.
20
21 There's absolutely no match at all in the linux world for k3b, and
22 whomever has used the qt4 port will agree that's it's unstable and
23 very far in which regards features to the qt3 version.
24
25 There are lots of qt3 apps that have no equivalent for qt4. I happen
26 to like kaffeine, I am pretty sure that everyone else can name a couple
27 of other examples.
28
29 Being that said, of course, there's no way that we can impose devs and
30 maintainers which to support. It's their choice. All I say is that, to
31 me, this deserves a much dedicated and deep thought.
32
33 The qt3 stuff is stable, this is not another xmms-like thing, it works,
34 and it doesn't only work, but today it works *far better* than the qt4
35 newer alternatives, in most cases anyway.
38 Jesús Guerrero