From: Joonas Niilola <juippis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo LLVM project needs help!
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 19:20:16
1 On 11.2.2022 1.36, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > As you may have noticed, I'm practically maintaining LLVM all by myself.
5 > This is a really tedious, time consuming and ungrateful task, and I'm
6 > pretty close to burnout. I'd really appreciate some help.
7 >
8 > The problem with LLVM that it's a really huge, rapidly moving forward
9 > (and breaking things) project. It needs frequent testing as regressions
10 > happen frequently, and we have a good chance of having somebody else fix
11 > it if we report them early. At the same time, testing takes a lot of
12 > time. While ccache is pretty much a must, it doesn't help much long
13 > term as the code is changing frequently and invalidating the cache.
14 >
15 > On top of this, there's almost-overlapping release process and Gentoo
16 > slotting that's working so-so at best. After I've pushed LLVM 13.0.1
17 > final, I've had to immediately start testing 14.x and barely managed to
18 > get some fixes in before rc1. Now 14.0.0 is expected soon,
19 > simultaneously major changes are happening on the main branch
20 > (i.e. 15.x) that also need testing and adjusting the ebuilds to.
21
22 Would it help at all to not always support different _rc's and .9999s?
23 Or would that just bite "us" (as in Gentoo) back with a delay?
26 > 6. Work on setting up and configuring a buildbot for Gentoo LLVM builds.
27 > This is some effort and I don't have the time to learn how to do that.
28 > You'll probably need to set up a local instance and figure out how to
29 > set our builds before submitting anything upstream; in my experience
30 > they aren't very responsive to buildbot changes, so ideally we need to
31 > flesh out any problems early.
32
33 GSOC-worthy project?
36 > Yes, that's a lot of work. I can't do it all myself, I'm already doing
37 > too much and this is having negative impact on my health. I really need
38 > help with this.
41 I wonder if llvm and toolchain projects should join - not that there's
42 probably anyone in toolchain interested/capable of doing llvm/clang
43 currently. But they'd be the next with knowledge for at least simplest
44 version bumps if you lay back a bit. Remember this is just a hobby -
45 even though your work is very much appreciated, not worth of wearing
46 yourself out over.
47
48 -- juippis

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature