From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo LLVM project needs help!
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2022 20:12:01
1 On Fri, 2022-02-11 at 21:19 +0200, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > On 11.2.2022 1.36, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > As you may have noticed, I'm practically maintaining LLVM all by myself.
6 > > This is a really tedious, time consuming and ungrateful task, and I'm
7 > > pretty close to burnout. I'd really appreciate some help.
8 > >
9 > > The problem with LLVM that it's a really huge, rapidly moving forward
10 > > (and breaking things) project. It needs frequent testing as regressions
11 > > happen frequently, and we have a good chance of having somebody else fix
12 > > it if we report them early. At the same time, testing takes a lot of
13 > > time. While ccache is pretty much a must, it doesn't help much long
14 > > term as the code is changing frequently and invalidating the cache.
15 > >
16 > > On top of this, there's almost-overlapping release process and Gentoo
17 > > slotting that's working so-so at best. After I've pushed LLVM 13.0.1
18 > > final, I've had to immediately start testing 14.x and barely managed to
19 > > get some fixes in before rc1. Now 14.0.0 is expected soon,
20 > > simultaneously major changes are happening on the main branch
21 > > (i.e. 15.x) that also need testing and adjusting the ebuilds to.
22 >
23 > Would it help at all to not always support different _rc's and .9999s?
24 > Or would that just bite "us" (as in Gentoo) back with a delay?
25
26 RCs are our chance to get upstream fixes into the release. If we skip
27 them, it means we'll end up having to backport everything ourselves.
28 It's a loss for us, and it's a loss for other people using LLVM.
29
30 Plus, filing bugs as "release blockers" has a certain psychological
31 effect.
35 > > 6. Work on setting up and configuring a buildbot for Gentoo LLVM builds.
36 > > This is some effort and I don't have the time to learn how to do that.
37 > > You'll probably need to set up a local instance and figure out how to
38 > > set our builds before submitting anything upstream; in my experience
39 > > they aren't very responsive to buildbot changes, so ideally we need to
40 > > flesh out any problems early.
41 >
42 > GSOC-worthy project?
43
44 Not sure. To rephrase what was once said to me, this is summer of
45 *code*, not infra work.
49 > > Yes, that's a lot of work. I can't do it all myself, I'm already doing
50 > > too much and this is having negative impact on my health. I really need
51 > > help with this.
54 > I wonder if llvm and toolchain projects should join - not that there's
55 > probably anyone in toolchain interested/capable of doing llvm/clang
56 > currently. But they'd be the next with knowledge for at least simplest
57 > version bumps if you lay back a bit. Remember this is just a hobby -
58 > even though your work is very much appreciated, not worth of wearing
59 > yourself out over.
63 I don't think this will help in any way -- just like having more people
64 on the project roster doesn't help.
67 Best regards,
68 Michał Górny