From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Questions about XML files used in portage
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:36:51
1 On Wednesday 21 September 2005 15:21, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2005-09-21 at 07:28 -0500, Albert Hopkins wrote:
3 > > 2. Are metadata.xml files a requirement for categories? There
4 > > are a few categories that do not have one:
5 > > * x11-proto
6 > > * x11-apps
7 > > * x11-drivers
8 >
9 > They should have one.
10 >
11 > > 3. If a metadata.xml has a <longdescription> element, is it
12 > > required to contain text? There is at least one package that
13 > > has an empty <longdescription>. I wanted to use the
14 > > <longdescription> to override the DESCRIPTION in the .ebuild,
15 > > if it exists, but in this case the DESCRIPTION is actually infinitely
16 > > longer than the <longdescription>.
17 >
18 > It should contain text, but I don't think that the dtd requires it.
19 > Perhaps it should?
20
21 The meaning of the tag is to contain a full description of the package.
22 The sense with longdescription is that it is allowed/encouraged to be a
23 description that is substantially longer than approprate for the
24 DESCRIPTION variable in the ebuild itself. It's purpose is mainly for
25 things like packages.gentoo.org where there is place for a long
26 description. Another advantage is that it allows for other language
27 descriptions of a package (an English one must be provided).
30 > > 4. Speaking of <longdescription>, are line breaks to be
31 > > preserved in their representation? There are a few packages whose
32 > > <longdescription> use line breaks for formatting. One in particular,
33 > > gnustep-libs/steptalk not only prefers to preserve line breaks, but
34 > > also appears to prefer a fixed-width font in it's representation. Is
35 > > this also a requirement?
36 >
37 > As far as I know, there are few *requirements* defined for metadata.xml
38 > files. All we really have is the dtd to determine what is legal.
39 > Anything beyond that really hasn't been discussed.
40
41 We have a webpage:
42 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/metastructure/herds/index.xml
43
44 Although the longdescription description is a bit vague. There is no
45 specified format for longdescription, but as no subtags are allowed one
46 could say it should be some kind of formatted text.
47
48 > Perhaps now is the time to start such discussions?
49
50 If it's used I agree.
51
52 Paul