From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: Roman Gaufman <hackeron@×××××.com>
Cc: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A few modest suggestions regarding tree size
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 22:29:18
1 I actually quite appreciated ciaranm's response - it shows he's not
2 buying into the whole "Gentoo is rice" deal, and I think that's a very
3 good thing for Gentoo and Gentoo's users.
4
5 PLEASE be more scientific than "I think it's like 25%". Let's get it
6 straight just how much we're talking about, before throwing out things
7 like "pretty major" or "like 25%".
8
9 First, everything in portage:
10
11 find . \( -not -path './distfiles/*' \) | perl -lne '$s+=-s; $c++;
12 END{print "$c files, $s bytes total"}'
13 100120 files, 403235992 bytes total
14
15 Now, all the diffs/patches in the files/ directories:
16
17 find . -path '*/*/files/*.patch' -or -path "*/*/files/*.diff" | perl
18 -lne '$s+=-s; $c++; END{print "$c files, $s bytes total"}'
19 5082 files, 13142437 bytes total
20
21 So, by removing all of these, you end up removing 5% -- not 25% -- of
22 the files from portage, comprising 3% of the space used by a portage
23 tree. Is this really "pretty major"?
24
25 -- Jason Rhinelander
26 -- Gossamer Threads, Inc.
29 Roman Gaufman wrote:
30 > I think its wrong for a maintainer to troll like this on the dev
31 > mailing list -- but then again its ciaranm - he's a joker :)
32 >
33 > But seriously, there were some nice ideas in the last few messages,
34 > and it wasnt 50Kb improvements, but a major drop in file number and
35 > size, like 25% drop, thats pretty major -- also, it doesnt affect
36 > developers much in terms of productivity.
37 >
38 > Including my idea of syncing based on a changelog, that will reduce
39 > time to literally less than a second without affecting ebuild
40 > maintainers at all.
44 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list