From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for August
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:10:27
1 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2
3 > (Note to our sponsors: you rock. Keep on rocking.)
4 >
5 > Right now bugs is served from a 2,4Ghz P4 - that's roughly a normal
6 > desktop box from last year.
7
8 You have no concept of where the bottle neck is. The webserver hosting
9 the cgi part isn't being loaded hardly at all. The database server is a
10 pretty beefy box, and again, its not so much a specific hardware
11 limitation, just more a limitation on the design of bugzilla and its
12 ties to mysql. We're having to 'fix' the problem by getting a
13 master/slave mysql db server setup which the OSL didn't have setup at
14 the time. This is apparently the 'solution' upstream suggests which I
15 think is daft, but its what we have to do.
16
17 Please stop stating solutions to problems you don't fully understand or
18 think you understand. I'm getting tired of all this fud being said
19 around about stuff people don't totally understand. Hardware from
20 sponsors mean nothing if they aren't utilized in a proper manner with
21 planning and skills. And its not really a big bottle neck of people. You
22 try finding people who have a ton of free time, have excellent admin
23 skills, gives everyone on the team a 'good vibe' and seems trustworthy.
24 Its not as easy as you think it is. I'm in the process of bringing on a
25 guy I know personally which will help the load of things a lot. Plus, he
26 works with me, so I can kick him literally if he slacks :). (now if only
27 recruiters *cough*swift*cough* could work faster ;-) )
28
29 Anyways, I'm not going to rant on about this anymore. We're working on
30 the problem, and you just have to be patient.
31
32 Cheers-
35 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
36 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
37
38 ---
39 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
40 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
41
42 ramereth/irc.freenode.net