From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for August
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:29:32
1 On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 13:48 -0500, Lance Albertson wrote:
2 > Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 >
4 > > (Note to our sponsors: you rock. Keep on rocking.)
5 > >
6 > > Right now bugs is served from a 2,4Ghz P4 - that's roughly a normal
7 > > desktop box from last year.
8 >
9 > You have no concept of where the bottle neck is.
10 I have followed the discussions quite well. I think I'm quite aware of
11 the issues.
12
13 > The webserver hosting
14 > the cgi part isn't being loaded hardly at all.
15 Yes, only problem is that bugzilla likes to consume larger amounts of
16 memory, and if I'm not mistaken it's a bad interaction from a OOM killer
17 (to avoid the webfrontend to die) causing stale locks (which should not
18 happen) that causes bugzie to fall over, ja?
19 (I've been told a simple testcase to demonstrate that, haven't tried
20 myself)
21
22 > The database server is a
23 > pretty beefy box, and again, its not so much a specific hardware
24 > limitation, just more a limitation on the design of bugzilla and its
25 > ties to mysql. We're having to 'fix' the problem by getting a
26 > master/slave mysql db server setup which the OSL didn't have setup at
27 > the time. This is apparently the 'solution' upstream suggests which I
28 > think is daft, but its what we have to do.
29 ... and one of the slowdowns was OSU being unable to get their DB cluster up and running within a reasonable timeframe. Fertilizer happens ...
30
31 > Please stop stating solutions to problems you don't fully understand or
32 > think you understand. I'm getting tired of all this fud being said
33 > around about stuff people don't totally understand.
34 I'm getting tired of being told "we can manage it", then having to wait
35 6 months to hear "almost there". We had a few people asking how they
36 could help, and the answer was roughly "we manage fine on our own, thank
37 you very much". Personally I don't mind much, but then you shouldn't
38 complain when people say "we could have done better" ...
39
40 > Hardware from
41 > sponsors mean nothing if they aren't utilized in a proper manner with
42 > planning and skills. And its not really a big bottle neck of people.
43 That sounds contradictory to me - it's not the people, it's the people?
44
45 > You
46 > try finding people who have a ton of free time, have excellent admin
47 > skills, gives everyone on the team a 'good vibe' and seems trustworthy.
48 For me it's easy, being a dev for more than, say, 3 months = trustworthy
49 Of course if you need to recruit from the outside the situation changes
50
51 > Its not as easy as you think it is.
52 Let me try and fail and I'll believe you ...
53
54 > I'm in the process of bringing on a
55 > guy I know personally which will help the load of things a lot. Plus, he
56 > works with me, so I can kick him literally if he slacks :). (now if only
57 > recruiters *cough*swift*cough* could work faster ;-) )
58 Cool.
59
60 > Anyways, I'm not going to rant on about this anymore. We're working on
61 > the problem, and you just have to be patient.
62 Nooooooo :-) You said the bad words again! ;-)
63
64 I hope you get everything fixed soonish, let's hope Murphy's law doesn't
65 try to apply here ...
68 Patrick
69 --
70 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move