From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Staging 'einstalldocs' for EAPI 6
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 11:46:00
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 08/20/2013 01:01 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > Due to the widespread breakage in the tree noted in bug #480892
8 > [1], and mis-design of multilib-minimal.eclass, we'd like to put
9 > some more work into getting einstalldocs() ready for EAPI 6.
10
11 Ok, I'm too lazy to wait for a reply, so here you go
14 Let's check what misdesign is:
15
16 * creating eclasses with too many phases and those wrapped a thousand
17 times, so no one really knows how it works anymore and ebuild writers
18 are confused and often miss things; other devs have already complained
19 about that obscurity
20 * creating python eclasses that rely so heavily on useflags that it
21 causes a lot of pain for users because of blockers (just read #gentoo)
22 and adding/removing python version and then adding another bunch of
23 python_single_foo* which cause even more useless rebuilds for users
24 * creating a distutils eclass that fails for some packages, because it
25 doesn't let you control how setup.py is called properly
26 * updating vcs-snapshot eclass to drop support for an archive type,
27 because the author is unable to make his code improvement work with it
28 * creating multilib eclasses that are widely untested and dumping all
29 the slow migration pain including multilib-specific bugs, countless
30 blockers users have to deal with and all the emul-linux-x86-* updating
31 stuff on everyone
34 not really misdesign, but rather misbehavior:
35
36 * refusing to slow down when told that your solutions may cause
37 problems for other developers
38 * refusing to work with other devs who demand an alternative
39 implementation
40 * trying to force other people to use a solution that they feel is not
41 fit, because they want minimum reliance on eclasses which
42 autotools-utils is NOT (and for the record, you do not follow PMS
43 standard there)
44 * requesting features for other peoples eclasses and then blaming them
45 for misdesign, although YOU have even REVIEWED the changes
48 If you keep on with this behavior, then I hope you know where that
49 leads. I don't mind strong discussions and most points in the first
50 chapter will not make me say "it was the wrong choice" (everyone knows
51 that I am all pro migrating), but you are becoming someone people do
52 not want to work with.