From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] You currently cannot smoothly upgrade a 4 months old Gentoo system
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 16:34:35
1 >>>>> On Wed, 03 Nov 2021, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 11:03 AM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> This is not about finding solution to upgrade the system (in this case
6 >> it was enough to force PYTHON_TARGETS=python3_8 for portage). This is
7 >> about raising awareness that Gentoo is a rolling distribution and that
8 >> we guarantee users to be able to upgrade their system when they do world
9 >> upgrades just once a year (remember: in my case the last world upgrade
10 >> is just 4 months old!). If they cannot upgrade their system without
11 >> manual intervention, we failed to do our job.
12
13 > Do we have this "guarantee" documented somewhere? I thought I've
14 > heard six months tossed around. You say one year. It seems
15 > reasonable to have some sort of guideline like this and try to stick
16 > with it, at least for @system.
17
18 We do. Summary of 2009-11-09 Council meeting:
19
20 | https://projects.gentoo.org/council/meeting-logs/20091109-summary.txt
21 |
22 | Upgrade path for old systems
24 | Vote (unanimous): The ebuild tree must provide an upgrade path to a
25 | stable system that hasn't been updated for one year.
26 |
27 | Action: leio will start a discussion on gentoo-dev on if and how to
28 | support upgrading systems that are outdated more than a year.