From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cleaning out 'bc' and 'ed' from system
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 14:05:38
1 On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 10:09 +0300, Alin Nastac wrote:
2 >
3 > when was the last time you used ed? it is a completely useless editor,
4
5 No. its the only editor that can change a file without munging up the
6 inodes. Its very useful because of this.
7
8 And its also easy to shoot yourself in the foot because of this.
9
10 btw, both ed and bc is used in a lot of configure scripts, more than I
11 care to remember ( I believe that things like enlightenment had calls to
12 it...) so replacing this involves you doing a very massive regression
13 test. Have fun.
17 //Spider
18 --
19 begin .signature