From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] separate /usr without initramfs
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2019 20:16:31
1 William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Hi Dale,
3 >
4 > I would like to call your attention to a couple of things in my message.
5 >
6 > On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 01:40:10PM -0500, Dale wrote:
7 >> William Hubbs wrote:
8 > *snip*
9 >
10 >>> I want to hear from people who have / and /usr on separate partitions
11 >>> and who are not using an initramfs.
12 >>>
13 >>> If you are in this group, I have a very specific question. Why aren't
14 >>> you using an initramfs?
15 > *snip*
16 >
17 >> I have a separate /usr among others and always have.  The reason I do
18 >> that, /boot and / are normal partitions but everything else is LVM.  I
19 >> can adjust the size of everything BUT /boot and /.  At the time I did
20 >> that, the init thingy was not needed if I recall correctly.  I might
21 >> add, I've had to grow /usr and /var a couple times.  Before LVM, it
22 >> meant copying over to another drive, repartitioning and then restoring
23 >> to the old drive.  Time consuming and one wrong command could ruin a
24 >> install.
25 >>
26 >> While I have a init thingy, I do not like it.  I've had a couple
27 >> failures already with those things.  Luckily I keep older kernels and
28 >> such for that.  If I had my wish, I would not need a init thingy, ever.
29 >> It's just one more thing that can cause problems.  There's already more
30 >> than enough things that can break.  While I understand the problem comes
31 >> from upstream, I still think it sucks.  It's easy enough to have a
32 >> unbootable kernel as it is.  Adding another layer for booting to fail
33 >> should be avoided.  BTW, I use dracut.  I tried to build it other ways
34 >> but couldn't get it to work.  Bad thing is, when one fails even built
35 >> with dracut, I have no clue how it works really so no idea how to fix
36 >> other than using a older kernel or just rerunning dracut and hoping for
37 >> the best.
38 >
39 > You just stated that you have an initramfs, so you did not thoroughly
40 > read my message. I specifically asked to hear from folks who aren't
41 > using one. All of this is irrelivent since you are.
42 >
43 >> I'm also not looking forward to the other situation you mentioned
44 >> either.  At some point, having separate partitions won't be easy with or
45 >> without a init thingy.  I can't easily resize / without reworking the
46 >> whole thing.
47 >
48 > Like I said above, separate partitions without an initramfs has been
49 > broken for many years. We have been doing some downstream hacking that
50 > made it work for some people. You are obviously not one of those people
51 > since you use an initramfs.
52 >
53 > Can you please not add irrelivent noise to this thread?
54 >
55 > William
58 I did read your message.  The reason I posted, I wish I did NOT have to
59 have one and I was in the situation you describe.  From what people
60 post, here and elsewhere, my system may not boot without one.  So, if it
61 is possible to NOT have a init thingy, I'd love to see that supported.
62
63 I might also add, I originally thought this was on -user not -dev.  I
64 did see that wrong.
65
66 Dale
67