From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] seamonkey -> nss vs nspr
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:04:26
1 On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 22:16 +0200, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > * Martin Schlemmer <azarah@××××××××××××.org> schrieb:
3 >
4 > <snip>
5 >
6 > > > build or unpack both nspr and nss and then look whats laying around
7 > > > there. the nss sourcetree contains the nsprpub tree.
8 > > >
9 > >
10 > > Yes, but we don't install it with the nss ebuild, as our build uses
11 > > system nspr. I am sure you could check with upstream, but they will
12 > > probably say its intended as nss needs nspr if I remember correctly.
13 >
14 > So the nspr subtree in nss is dead code (for gentoo) ?
15 > Then we better should remove it - just to be sure ;-)
18 Uhm, so you want us to re-tarball it instead of just using the tarball
19 from upstream? How about firefix, seamonkey, xulrunner (I think),
20 thunderbird, sunbird, etc ? Should we re-tarball those as well?
21
22 > BTW: it seems both nspr and nss are not really standalone packages,
23 > but instead snippets from CVS which requires much manual interaction
24 > (which is done by the ebuild). IMHO it would be worth investing some
25 > time into making both nspr and nss standalone packages with clean
26 > pkg-config, etc. Although I dislike autotools for some reasons
27 > (ie. crosscompiling is very ugly) we could use it until something
28 > better is available
29
30 Sure, but you are still missing the point that it comes so from
31 upstream. You can take the effort, but it will need to be OK with
32 upstream to really make it worth the effort, else it might become a high
33 maintenance item.
34
35 Anyhow, that is the whole issue with mozilla stuff in general - huge
36 hunk of code that is not really modular, and have to be rebuild for a
37 few to many projects. While I am all for getting the POS more modular
38 (which we at least did for nspr and nss), you will need to get
39 cooperation from upstream, as they used to give a rats ass about abi
40 compatibility when I was more involved with it, and loads of time if you
41 actually want to try and do it yourself (which is more than I have
42 currently), plus even more courage, as currently it will need to be done
43 for probably at least 6-12 projects (nss, nspr, suite, browser, mail,
44 minimo, composer, calendar, xulrunner, macbrowser, standalone, maybe
45 chat, etc).
46
47 So if you have time, courage and the drive to do it, be my guess, but
48 know that it will be a project of some months of work, if not years.
49
50 > (in fact I'm working on my build tool ...).
51 > Something Xorg-modular ;-) Many distros would benefit from that.
54 Not sure how this relates at to us, but as they say, code speak louder
55 than words.
58 Regards,
61 Martin Schlemmer