From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] gnupg-2 stable plans
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 07:25:01
1 On 15:49 Sat 08 Dec , Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I want to make gnupg-2 stable.
5 >
6 > The problem is that gnupg-1.9 was slotted as slot "1.9" and made stable.
7 >
8 > So now we have two slots, slot "0" and slot "1.9".
9 >
10 > gnupg-2 is drop-in replacement of gnupg-1, so eventually no slotting
11 > should be used.
12 >
13 > As far as I see, there are two migration pathes I can use:
14 >
15 > 1. Mark gnupg-2 stable, as it blocks older versions, this results in
16 > forcing users to manually unmerge the gnugp-1.9 series, this is the
17 > quickest and simplest migration path.
18
19 Seems reasonable. Any particular reason to slot gnupg-2 as SLOT 0 rather
20 than SLOT 1.9?
21
22 > 2. Perform slot-move of slot "0" and slot "1.9" into slot "2", so
23 > migration will be smooth. The problem is that I need all archs to work
24 > with me in timely manner so that this will be possible. I have
25 > bug#194113 waiting for arm, mips, s390, sh, and this only for the
26 > dependencies.
27
28 I can imagine this resulting in very weird issues, when you have two of
29 the same package installed in the same slot.
30
31 Thanks,
32 Donnie
33 --