From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bugzilla etiquette suggestions
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:44:59
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Consider this: INVALID is strong enough, under the wrong circumstances,
3 > that it /could/ set an emotionally unstable user off, causing them to
4 > commit suicide or something. I /know/ it was deeply depressing here,
5 > that first time, altho the effect on me would have been to simply push me
6 > back to Mandrake and cause me to become another anti-Gentoo activist, as I
7 > wasn't already suicidal. Some people /might/ be! One never knows the
8 > emotional state of someone filing a bug, so consider carefully the effect
9 > INVALIDating the bug might possibly have on their entire life. Would
10 > /you/ want that on your conscience, that it had been /your/ action, the
11 > marking of that one last bug they filed as INVALID, that finally tipped
12 > them over? I know I wouldn't!
13
14 Are you being serious about this? I dont' find it particularly funny in case
15 it's a joke. In case it's not, i find it ridiculous. If a person is that
16 emotionally unstable that he'd commit suicide because of an INVALID resolution,
17 he'd probably commit suicide everytime only the slightest negative event occurs
18 too. I really feel sorry for those people who are depressive, but I wouldn't
19 feel guilty because I closed a bug as INVALID instead of WORKSFORME.
20
21 > Obviously, I like the idea of NOTABUG better, or consider using WORKSFORME
22 > or WONTFIX. Those get the same general message across, without having the
23 > implication of INVALIDating the user's bug, possibly/likely conveying the
24 > message that they are not welcome as a Gentoo user, or worse yet to
25 > someone already unstable, that their whole life is INVALID.
26
27 NOTABUG sounds good, but as Ciaran said, we need another replacement for those
28 bugs who really deserve it. If a user sticks -fvisibility=hidden into his CFLAGS
29 (instead of CXXFLAGS), PLEASEGOAWAYKTHXBYE would be much more appropriate.
32 Simon Stelling
33 Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead
34 blubb@g.o
35 --