From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Bugzilla etiquette suggestions
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 23:03:06
1 Daniel Drake posted <43EFA485.4060709@g.o>, excerpted below, on
2 Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:11:33 +0000:
3
4 > 2. Be careful with INVALID resolutions
5 >
6 > The term invalid _is_ harsh in bugzilla context, so make sure you write
7 > a quick thankful-sounding comment to go with it.
8
9 I like all the suggestions, but this one hits a particular sore spot, as I
10 had it happen to me, with I think my second Gentoo bug filing. What made
11 things worse is that the filing was after my arch team had asked for
12 volunteers to perform specific tests (multilib-strict), and I had gone to
13 significant effort to do so, having builds die that would otherwise have
14 completed successfully.
15
16 As it happens, the bug /was/ valid, and was eventually resolved
17 (impressively quickly, I might add =8^) when I refiled it when the next
18 version came out. I had something inadvised in my CFLAGS that
19 the developer had seized upon as an opportunity to mark the bug invalid
20 and get it out of his way, that in reality had nothing to do with the bug
21 (a 64-bit shared object installed to lib instead of lib64, independent of
22 CFLAGS, inadvised or not).
23
24 Calling the bug "invalid" can be taken personally as saying the opinion
25 and work that the user put into getting and filing the bug was "invalid",
26 therefore, that the user shouldn't bother spending his time on Gentoo at
27 all, as they don't matter and they and there opinion are "invalid".
28
29 Consider this: INVALID is strong enough, under the wrong circumstances,
30 that it /could/ set an emotionally unstable user off, causing them to
31 commit suicide or something. I /know/ it was deeply depressing here,
32 that first time, altho the effect on me would have been to simply push me
33 back to Mandrake and cause me to become another anti-Gentoo activist, as I
34 wasn't already suicidal. Some people /might/ be! One never knows the
35 emotional state of someone filing a bug, so consider carefully the effect
36 INVALIDating the bug might possibly have on their entire life. Would
37 /you/ want that on your conscience, that it had been /your/ action, the
38 marking of that one last bug they filed as INVALID, that finally tipped
39 them over? I know I wouldn't!
40
41 Obviously, I like the idea of NOTABUG better, or consider using WORKSFORME
42 or WONTFIX. Those get the same general message across, without having the
43 implication of INVALIDating the user's bug, possibly/likely conveying the
44 message that they are not welcome as a Gentoo user, or worse yet to
45 someone already unstable, that their whole life is INVALID.
46
47 Thanks, Daniel!
52 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
53 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
57 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list