From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Final proposal: New alias maintainer-needed@g.o or some such (speak now or forever hold your peace ;) )
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:40:57
1 Markus Nigbur wrote:
2 > Assigning to m-n@g.o and adding the actual fitting herd to CC is the most
3 > elegant option, IMHO.
4 > However we do it, we should really agree on one solution, to get more
5 > structure into the chaos.
6
7 Here's what I'd propose:
8
9 This only applies to new packages, as opposed to version bumps or whatever else:
10
11 When an ebuild or ebuild request is posted to bugzilla, the bug wranglers
12 attempt to find an appropriate herd or developer to assign it to, and the
13 ebuild is keyworded with EBUILD or REQUEST depending whether an ebuild was
14 included or not.
15
16 If the herd or developer does not want to maintain the package and they feel
17 that there is another herd or developer where this package would be more
18 appropriately maintained, then they should reassign it to them.
19
20 At any point, if a developer or herd decides that they do not want to maintain
21 the package at the current time, and there is no more appropriate
22 herd/developer, then they reassign it to maintainer-needed@g.o putting
23 the most appropriate herd(s)/developer(s) on CC.
24
25 Interested developers can then take bugs from the maintainer-needed alias and
26 reassign to themselves before getting the ebuild included in portage - but the
27 usual policies still apply, for example if its a web application you'll
28 probably be asked to join the webapps herd, and if its a kernel then you'll
29 have to go through the torture chamber and then join our project before adding
30 the package, etc...
31
32 Herds/developers that are CC'd on the maintainer-needed bugs are free to
33 completely close the bugs if there is a good reason why the package won't be
34 included in portage at the current time. For example, I'd reject an ebuild for
35 an external 2.6 kernel module which doesn't work for kernels 2.6.4 and newer,
36 because we don't support those older kernels at all. (These kind of bugs might
37 even be closed before it got assigned to maintainer-needed)
38
39 Developers can query for open maintainer-needed EBUILD bugs if they are
40 looking for new packages to maintain, and users can query for open
41 maintainer-needed REQUEST bugs if they want some ebuild writing practice.
42
43 Perhaps a complete list of open maintainer-needed bugs could be added to the
44 default preset queries..?
47 Any comments on that?
50 > - Developer Handbook (which really needs a section about how bugs are treated.
51 > I always wanted to write up a draft when I find the time...)
52
53 I think we need some real bugzilla documentation that covers both basic usage
54 and also policies on bugs/resolutions/ownership and what to do if you think
55 your bug is being ignored. This is also on my todo list but has been for a
56 long time.
57
58 Daniel
59 --