From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:10:52
1 On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 21:12:22 +0000 Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | This point is another example of an attempt to enforce an undocumented
4 | QA policy, which is where I made my input, as the architect of our new
5 | (and well-received) PHP packages. ... and then the discussion
6 | deteriorated into something I'm not particularly proud of, for my part
7 | in it.
8
9 Huh?
10
11 I quote the official policy:
12
13 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=1
14 > Occasionally, ebuilds will have conflicting USE flags for
15 > functionality. Checking for them and returning an error is not a
16 > viable solution. Instead, you must pick one of the USE flags in
17 > conflict to favour. One example comes from the msmtp ebuilds. The
18 > package can use either SSL with GnuTLS, SSL with OpenSSL, or no SSL
19 > at all. Because GnuTLS is more featureful than OpenSSL, it is
20 > favoured:
21
22 It's a QA violation, and not a feature as you claim.
23
24 I find it particularly worrying that you try to pass of blatant policy
25 violations as a feature. The first step in QA is detecting that there
26 is a problem.
29 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
30 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
31 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm