From: Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen <jaervosz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xpdf status
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 16:07:17
1 On Wednesday 12 July 2006 16:43, exg@g.o wrote:
2 > Guys,
3 >
4 > The xpdf version we have currently in the tree is a modified one that
5 > links to poppler, provided in IRC to genstef by an ubuntu developer (no,
6 > ubuntu does not use it); now, I can understand that having a single
7 > point of failure is desiderable, but I completely disagree when doing
8 > this implies using a thirdy-party version not maintained/hosted anywhere
9 > (the reasons being obvious, I hope). Besides, it's improbable that
10 > upstream will add support for poppler in xpdf.
11 >
12 > I really would like to see back the upstream version, what do you think?
13 The reason for this was security I believe. xpdf code is embedded in lots of
14 other packages (see http://glsa.gentoo.org for some examples). By linking to
15 poppler this is fixed in one place.
16
17 Though if someone is willing to maintain a vanilla xpdf ebuild I'd have no
18 complaints. Genstef?
21 Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen
22 Gentoo Linux Security Team