From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Watch out for license changes to GPL-3.
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 21:31:20
1 On Mon, Jul 09, 2007 at 09:07:20PM +0200, Dominique Michel wrote:
2 > Le Mon, 9 Jul 2007 09:39:14 -0700,
3 > Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> a ??crit :
4 >
5 > > On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 04:46:57PM +0200, Dominique Michel wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > > I personally think at gpl-3 is better as gpl-2 because GPLv3 will block
8 > > > tivoization.
9 > >
10 > > Only if the kernel is changed to v3, which it will not be.
11 > >
12 > > So this crusade by the FSF to stop what they explicitly said was a legal
13 > > use of v2, never succeeded, so please stop trying to worry about it.
14 > >
15 > > thanks,
16 > >
17 > > greg k-h
18 >
19 > I don't want to force anyone to use v3, I was just saying at v3 is better as v2
20 > from my point of vue. Maybe I am wrong, but just to say at I am wrong is not
21 > enough.
22
23 I never stated that you are wrong about why you feel v3 is better for
24 you, I only stated that if you are worried about the "tivoization"
25 issue, then you have a long time to be worried, as it only affects the
26 kernel. Also, since the Linux kernel is not going to change licenses,
27 this whole thing really isn't an issue at all.
28
29 > Can you explain more. If the kernel can be tivoized by someone
30
31 I'm sorry, but "tivoized" is not a verb. Please explain what you mean
32 by this.
33
34 > , who will use this kernel? How can this affect the software xyz that
35 > have a v3 licence?
36
37 I do not understand the question, can you reprase it?
38
39 thanks,
40
41 greg k-h