From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ROX: maintainer-wanted and apps out of date
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 17:07:51
1 On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 13:55:55 +0200 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | On Monday 12 September 2005 02:25, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 | > If you're not up for having your code reviewed, don't contribute to
5 | > an open source project. No-one expects you to produce perfect code
6 | > straight off (at least, we don't until we give you commit access).
7 | > We *do* expect you to be prepared to respond to constructive
8 | > criticism and improve your code.
9 |
10 | Personally I think you're just going a bit wild by closing the bug
11 | reports as wont fix and expecting users to fix them. That's part of
12 | developers job, if someone takes into account adding an ebuild to the
13 | official tree, isn't it?!
14
15 Stuff assigned to maintainer-wanted has no developer. From what we've
16 seen in the past, most of those ebuilds are pretty unlikely to ever get
17 a developer either. The easiest way to improve those ebuilds' chances
18 of getting into the tree is by getting them up to a good enough
19 standard that whoever picks them up is very unlikely to have to do
20 major extra work on them.
21
22 | While I can understand your motivation, I'd
23 | like to know if your doing is backed up by at least an informal
24 | decision (didn't follow the threads which resulted in the maintainer*
25 | aliases, etc.), because we have enough whining guys, who don't
26 | understand that our ressources are limited. Caring for the quality of
27 | stuff, that is not part of the official tree is only bad PR, but not
28 | a win for us, imho.
29
30 It was discussed on this list.
33 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
34 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
35 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm