From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [news-item] Paludis 0.24
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 17:51:42
1 On Sat, 5 May 2007 19:34:22 +0200
2 Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Sat, May 05, 2007 at 06:21:47PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > > So the only important question is whether the news items are useful
5 > > for the people who will see them. In this case we know the answer
6 > > is yes.
7 >
8 > No one answered my question asked in Message-ID:
9 > <20070505090630.GA14287@×××××××××.rechner> what paludis actually does
10 > in case it encounters a config file using the old syntax so far, but
11 > as long it doesn't break the system, it doesn't need a news item.
12 > GLEP 42 talks about critical, really important news, not just useful
13 > ones.
14
15 It warns noisily. It doesn't say how to fix it.
16
17 > Imho the whole GLEP process is being abused to define some scenario to
18 > get the support for news, and then push it through for stuff way
19 > outside the boundaries defined in the GLEP.
20
21 Hardly... Not having the news item will cause considerable user
22 confusion. Having the news item won't cause any users to value news
23 items less.
26 Ciaran McCreesh