From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Ideas for a (fast) EAPI=3
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 09:43:56
1 Am Sonntag, den 08.03.2009, 00:08 -0800 schrieb Josh Saddler:
2 > Tiziano Müller wrote:
3 > > Hi everyone
4 > >
5 > > With eapis 1 and 2 we introduced nice features but also a couple of new
6 > > problems. One of them are the use dependencies when the package you
7 > > depend on doesn't have the use flag anymore (see [1] for an example).
8 > >
9 > > So I think it's time for a short eapi bump with some distinct
10 > > improvements:
11 > >
12 > > http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pPAJXP6shYH78lCXeqRqCUQ
13 >
14 > Is there a reason why we should ram through a new EAPI for something
15 > that *looks* like another "Paludis supports this so let's make it a
16 > Portage standard" proposal?
17 Ok, first it's not about paludis,portage,pkgcore,whatever but about the
18 ebuild-format. Paludis also fails if you have DEPEND="cat/foo[moo]" in
19 bar-0.1.ebuild but cat/foo doesn't have a "moo" USE flag.
20
21 So, please let's focus on the problems we have and try to find a
22 solution. Please fill in the blanks in the table if you know how portage
23 has it implemented.
24
25 And I used the word "fast" because people start to use use-dependencies
26 on a larger scale leading to more problems like the one I described in
27 the example. In fact, you could already say that for git the dep-tree is
28 broken because newer subversion doesn't carry the "dso" USE flag
29 anymore.
30
31 > Is there some kind of time deadline here
32 > that you all want?
33 Well, 2 weeks discussion and 1 month implementation would be cool.