From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Bugs Bugs Bugs & Unstablity
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 17:55:18
1 All I ever hear or read about is people complaining about bugs or
2 stability issues or an ebuild problem. Granted I'm not complaining about
3 this, this is good... we need to know this. But there is one thing
4 missing... I go to http://bugs.gentoo.org and sort through the bugs and
5 there are hardly any bug reports for the problems people say.
6
7 Here's a couple things I'd like to see our users do as far as bugs
8 1) Fill out bug reports @ http://bugs.gentoo.org
9 2) Provide us with all the necessary details... for example... if you
10 just tell me that libfoo's latest ebuild doesn't compile for you. That
11 is definetly not enough detail. Provide the FULL version including our
12 ebuild revision, such as libfoo-1.0.1-r1.ebuild is what we'd like to see.
13 3) You NEED to tell us which version compiler you are using.
14 4) You need to tell us your USE flags and your CFLAGS
15 5) Provide us with a copy and paste of the exact error message.
16 6) Any other data you feel might be revelant.
17
18 If you do all that more bugs will be fixed and they will hopefully be
19 fixed faster.
20
21 And if the person who sent me the patch against the latest version of
22 pcmcia-cs over IRC in a /query while I was gone is here.... please fill
23 out a bug report and lemme know what it fixes and include it. My battery
24 on the laptop ran out while I was gone.
25
26 In conclusion, you need to submit your bugs and concerns in a reliable
27 fashion so that they can be properly addressed... the only way to do
28 that is to fill out a bug report.
31 Doug Goldstein
32 Developer (Laptops, WiFi, GCC-3.1)
33 Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~cardoe/