From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] questions/issues after first boot
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 19:47:05
1 On Sun, 2002-01-13 at 15:40, Brian Jones wrote:
2 > 1. My NIC used the ne2k-pci module on the
3 > gentoo-rc6-r14 CD flawlessly. I compiled winbond
4 > support into the kernel. I listed ne2k-pci in the
5 > modules.autoload file. I put an alias ne2k-pci eth0
6 > in the aliases file. Still, my NIC doesn't come up on
7 > bootup, saying there's 'no such device'. 'cat
8 > /proc/pci' shows the NIC as a Winbond ethernet
9 > controller at IRQ 9. ifconfig is doing nothing for
10 > me. I might be able to get this one eventually, but
11 > some help would be good. My main point of confusion
12 > is that I built winbond support INTO the kernel, not
13 > as a module, so there's no module to load. That being
14 > the case, why would the kernel detect the card, but
15 > not the network scripts that enable it? Hmmm...
16
17 Edit /etc/init.d/net.eth0 to suit you, and then type:
18
19 # rc-update add net.eth0 default
20
21 To start eth0 immediately, then do:
22
23 # rc default
24
25 (this will bring up any missing scripts, which should include
26 your new net.eth0 script.) You could also start it by typing:
27
28 # /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start
31 > 2. I'm getting the same error a million times while
32 > the boot process is starting the various services:
33 >
34 > '/etc/init.d/runscript.sh: 1: command not found'
35 >
36 > I also get that same one with '2:' instead of '1:' a
37 > bunch of times.
38
39 I think that this is a cosmetic error that is fixed in more recent
40 versions of baselayout, but Azarah (Martin Schlemmer) would know more
41 about this than I.
42
43 Best Regards,
46 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>