From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Identifying inherit-only / usable profiles
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 17:48:21
1 On Friday 03 December 2004 5:19 pm, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 23:32 +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 > > Heh.. It'd take about 2 minutes to write and test the 3 lines of code to
4 > > implement said enhancement. The question is, is this the correct
5 > > enhancement. If so, why? I'd be more inclined to use a file to define a
6 > > profile as being "valid" rather than "invalid".
7 >
8 > That's kinda like defining a profile as "non-deprecated" rather than
9 > "deprecated." To me, it doesn't make sense to say when something works
10 > properly -- that should be expected.
11
12 A better comparison would be like defining them as "completed" instead of
13 "incomplete".
14 If a valid-marker is used, it can (and probably should) be inherited. If an
15 invalid-marker is used, you almost *never* want to inherit it.
16 Alternatively, it would be possible to mark profiles as either valid or
17 invalid and inherit the value from parents.
18 --
19 Luke-Jr
20 Developer, Utopios
21 http://utopios.org/