From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Automagic dependencies in gegl
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 07:33:44
1 Hanno Böck wrote:
2 > Now, gegl has 13 optional dependencies that could be use-flagged. The pity is,
3 > it has no configure-option for most of them, they are autodetected.
4 > (It's about gtk, ruby, lua, cairo, pango, libpng, openexr, rsvg, sdl,
5 > asciidoc, enscript, graphviz and ffmpeg)
6
7 whoah! Quite a large number!.
8
9 > My experience with the gimp developers in the past was that they weren't very
10 > pleased by bugs about automagic deps and I assume if I post them without
11 > patches, they'll get closed immediately. Now I always avoided to dig too deep
12 > into autotools, so I don't feel skilled enough for this task.
13
14 Ping me and we could work out something, probably the best way would be
15 hack a PKG_CONFIG_CONDITIONAL that does whatever the canned pkgconfig
16 does+ adding the --enable option.
17
18 > Is there some brave gentoo dev (or non-dev, doesn't really matter)
19 > volunteering to send patches to gegl-upstream?
20
21 We could teamwork having some autostuff monkey doing part of the work,
22 you helping us trying out the result and whoever has better contact with
23 upstream could try to get the thing there.
24
25 > Beside, I'm asking myself how to handle this situation. Hard-enable them all
26 > as long as there are no patches? Let the automagic go in the tree? Opinions
27 > welcome.
28
29 Where is the ebuild, put it as is hardmasked with a note about this,
30 then we could work together on it.
31
32 lu
36 Luca Barbato