From: tvon@×××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] xmms broken?, and an update question
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 16:52:47
1 On Sun, Jan 06, 2002, Mark wrote:
2 > UPDATE QUESTION.
3 > Lets say I wan't a newer version of Ruby.
4 > By the looks of it, all I have to do is change the name of the script.
5 > So the question is "should I"?
6
7 Personally, I have no problem changing the name of a ebuild and trying to
8 merge it. Portage is pretty smart about knowing what belongs to what
9 ebuild, so unmerging a totally fouled up merge isnt really a problem.
10
11 So to get to the point, IMHO its fine, though you should double-check the
12 ebuild to make sure the person who wrote it didnt get lazy and hard-code
13 the version anywhere other than in the filename.
14
15 I would reccomend writing your own ebuild first, just to get a feel for how
16 everything works. It is *very* easy to write ebuilds for the most part
17 (except for KDE related ebuilds which are still very easy but require a
18 little understanding of the eclasses), so give it a shot, look at
19 /usr/portage/skel.build and so on....
20
21 > A change this minor seems to trivial to email to someone, or get CVS
22 > access for.
23 > So can someone do it?
24
25 Assuming changing the name works, I usually drop a note to the maintainer
26 and/or the submission area (used to be gentoo-ebuild, now bugzilla at
27 bugz.gentoo.org) simply saying "new version available, changing the ebuild
28 name works". Nobody ever told me this was annoying or anything, so I've
29 assumed this is the right way to go about it.
30
31 HTH,
32 -Tom