From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Winex-cvs being removed from portage?
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 06:13:21
1 On Friday 25 July 2003 05:47, Owen Gunden wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 10:01:37PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > How about because they asked us to? Essentially, we have been asked to
4 > > not create an automated process to allow a user to install winex from
5 > > cvs. The anonymous cvs is there for people to assist in development
6 > > with winex. Technically, there is nothing stopping us from continuing
7 > > to provide winex-cvs ebuilds. However, Gentoo is part of a larger
8 > > community and quite simply, you don't maintain your status as a useful
9 > > member of the community if you go around pissing off your neighbors. In
10 > > fact, there is nothing keeping Transgaming from pulling the anonymous
11 > > cvs access for the winex sources from sourceforge and making it
12 > > available to subscriber's only.
13 >
14 > Then why is the anonymous cvs access available in the first place? Also,
15 > are you sure they don't have to release the source because of the GPL?
16 > IANAL, and I certainly don't know what I'm talking about. Just wondering.
17
18 To make it clear.
19
20 winex is not GPL, I believe it has a MIT-X license. Further we have been asked
21 not to provide the cvs ebuild. This makes it easy for people to use the cvs
22 version of winex, so getting winex without paying. The people making winex
23 still need to eat though, so if we continue to offer winex-cvs ebuilds a
24 consequence could be that they close up their cvs to protect their living,
25 and with that hurting a lot of innocent bystanders. They see their cvs access
26 as a way people can help contribute to winex, and get winex in return. They
27 don't mind people getting winex for free if those people help developing. The
28 way the gentoo ebuild works, makes it very easy for people to use the cvs
29 version without even thinking. Most of those people probably do not help
30 developing winex, and as such use a resource without paying for it.
31
32 Paul
35 Paul de Vrieze
36 Researcher