From: Jon Portnoy <avenj@g.o>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Brainstorming how to collaboratively work on kernels
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:12:45
1 On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:02:41PM +0100, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On 01/25/04 James Harlow wrote:
3 >
4 > > > "Gentoo Linux will never depend upon a piece of software unless
5 > > > it conforms to the GNU General Public License, GNU Lesser
6 > > > General Public License or some other license approved by the
7 > > > Open Source Initiative (OSI.)" --
8 > > > http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml
9 > > >
10 > > > I think we can cross Preforce/Bitkeeper off the list based on that.
11 > >
12 > > Both p4 and BK can export to open-source formats, like CVS. The fact
13 > > that some kernel developers (like linus) use bk, and other developers
14 > > don't have to, suggests that Gentoo could do the same thing.
15 >
16 > Does the kernel have a social contract ?
17 > I'm not really biased to any of the options, but the discussion about
18 > moving the forums from phpBB to a commercial product should be
19 > considered in the decision as I expect the user reactions will be
20 > simlilar.
21 >
22 > Marius
25 I see the forums as relatively peripherial and nonessential when
26 compared to the kernel. While Gentoo doesn't, strictly speaking, depend
27 on the forums, it does depend on the kernels provided. Managing them
28 with a proprietary tool sends a very negative message.
31 Jon Portnoy
32 avenj/irc.freenode.net
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list