From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] default logger
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:51:29
1 On Tuesday 27 September 2005 01:29 pm, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 11:57 -0500, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > Basically... why?
4 > >
5 > > I'm neither advocating being different to be different, nor following
6 > > others so howtos about their stuff fit to ours. I'm after
7 > > the underlying reasons why general users should be using syslog-ng over
8 > > metalog in contrast to the fact we've recommended metalog as long as
9 > > I've been around. That and I happen to like metalog's layout,
10 > > strangely enough ;)
11 >
12 > Actually, we've been recommending syslog-ng for *at least* the past two
13 > releases. The only thing that was never changed was the virtual.
14
15 because someone changed it doesnt mean it should have been changed
16
17 > > I'd rather see reasons listed as to why syslog-ng is a superior
18 > > default for users who (most likely) don't care, then "we lack
19 > > /var/log/messages" :)
20 >
21 > Besides the /var/log/messages thing, which I think is a non-argument,
22 > there is syslog-ng's ability to be usable by anyone. It works great for
23 > servers, it works great for desktops. It works as a loghost. It works
24 > for remote logging. Essentially, it has all of the features that users
25 > would want. It also has all of the features that administrators would
26 > want. It is flexible and powerful.
27
28 how exactly is this an argument for syslog ? metalog has all these features
29 (and more) except for remote logging ...
30 -mike
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list