From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changing order of default virtual/udev provider
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 22:40:16
1 Mike Frysinger posted on Tue, 09 Feb 2016 14:26:52 -0500 as excerpted:
2
3 > On 08 Feb 2016 13:46, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >> I'm strongly against this, because:
5 >
6 > agreed. i also don't see any reasons in Patrick's e-mail to suggest the
7 > current default is inadequate. "i don't like upstream" isn't relevant.
8
9 I'd agree, except that the way we're running udev is strongly discouraged
10 and generally not supported by upstream, with a statement that it /will/
11 break in the future, it's simply a matter of time.
12
13 Which makes a big difference when supporting that same specific use-case
14 is the primary and arguably only reason the considered alternative exists.
15
16 IOW, it's not about not liking upstream. It's about choosing a default
17 that supports our default use-case.
22 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman