From: Jim Northrup <glamdring-inc@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] a #g-d first impression might represent process and metastructure
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 01:18:37
1 Joshua Baergen wrote:
2
3 >>2) There are gentoo.org references to #gentoo-dev, but the process of
4 >>interfacing, mentoring, and recruiting are self-referential beginning
5 >>with a bootstrap of being on the good side of an existing developer. So
6 >>for those of us who do not establish favorable dialogues by filing a
7 >>bug, the door starts out closed.
11 >In reference to the difficulties outlined regarding becoming a
12 >developer above, I am in the process of becoming a dev without any
13 >contact with developers beforehand except for filing a bug that
14 >probably annoyed devs more than helped :P I contacted the recruiting
15 >group in response to a requirement for developers and they were glad
16 >to get the process started provided that I showed evidence that I
17 >would be an asset, mainly through input on bugs currently open.
18 >
19 >I doubt that I am the only one who has this story, but that doesn't
20 >mean your claim in #2 could not have happened to other people. Did
21 >you have any specific situations you were referring to when you wrote
22 >that?
25 I was up late on a friday evening hacking up a nifty addition to my
26 system and in my excitement and exuberance jumped on IRC to the dev
27 channel to get pointers to the best "official" references to ebuild
28 crafting and submission.
29
30 As it was absolutely silent, I waited a few minutes and requested voice
31 from the first notice of motion i saw in the channel.. "re", or some
32 similar indication of important offical business commencing. I was
33 informed that the bottom line was voice was only granted to developers,
34 period, end of story, no exceptions, and I was obviously misinformed and
35 should be elsewhere. Instead of anything like assistance I wound up
36 being told
37 1) (condescension) it was people like me who try to skirt the gentoo
38 process which are actually the problem even if we think it's contributing,
39 2)these important people in this channel are only here so that they can
40 occasionally ping each other and see thier nickname had been highlighted.
41 3) that under no circumstance was I going to get an audience in
42 #gentoo-dev, now or in future context, because it was for developers,
43 and regardless of 20 years coding experience or working on linux since
44 0.99, I was not a developer
45 4) I could feel free to file a bug if I thought there was an issue, or
46 talk to a recruiter about something to help out with.
47
48 my reply was that I enter #gentoo-dev, and request voice when it seems
49 helpful and important, without incident in all previous occasions
50 the response was that these developers were obviously in error and it
51 was irrelevant to the discussion.
52
53 I said I'm willing to take my chances as being perceived as noise.
54 the response was an unceremonious kick.
55
56 This developer was possessed with zeal and determination. to be sure.
57
58 Anyways, it happened, it's over. the order and exact words may have
59 been different but the tone and the impression stuck. I spent the due
60 dillegence perfecting my system hack, but I did not succeed in making it
61 available, or finding a likely benefactor project for voip qos
62 settings. This was beneath the involvment of #gentoo-dev at the time i
63 made the approach. I spent several hours researching volumes of gentoo
64 info alternating between the recruitment process and the ebuild process,
65 on a busy weekend i had planned to spend apart from a console.
66
67 so.. as an aside, is there a package with an interest in iptable
68 configuration for broadband voip qos configs?
69
70 Jim
71 --
72 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list