From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Infra plans regarding $Id$ - official answer...
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 11:11:08
1 On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 02:11:09 -0700 Daniel Campbell (zlg) wrote:
2 > I honestly don't see the point of this when `git log` or even `git
3 > diff` or standard `diff` will tell you if what's in your overlay
4 > differs from the source. With some bash magic it could even be
5 > automated. The point of that 'feature' is to see what, if anything,
6 > has changed between one's overlay and Gentoo's running tree. A diff
7 > would not only be able to tell you *if* anything changed, but also
8 > *what*, without adding around 5-7 extra bytes per ebuild. Sure, it's
9 > only bytes, but when multiplied against the number of ebuilds we have,
10 > it can make a few hundred KB difference. When expanded, that number
11 > multiplies. Is it worth adding this extra bloat to something that a
12 > standard utility can expose better than a hash?
13
14 Agree here. Also I don't like the idea of post-modifying content of
15 signed commits: files developers committed to the tree should be
16 the same users get. As a side effect this will simplify tree
17 consistency checks and forensics.
18
19 Best regards,
20 Andrew Savchenko