From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Removing 'selinux? ( sec-policy/selinux-*)' from DEPEND
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 12:53:18
1 Dnia 2014-11-01, o godz. 12:17:22
2 Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Mon, Sep 01, 2014 at 11:26:49PM +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
5 > > > [...]
6 > > >
7 > > > With this change, we implement the same end result (correctly labeled
8 > > > files after installation) while removing the need for the DEPEND
9 > > > dependency. After all, this was not a build-time dependency but a
10 > > > "merge-time" one, which we abused a bit to make things work.
11 > > >
12 > > > With this change in place, we can now update the tree (at least, for
13 > > > those packages that do not have other SELinux related dependency
14 > > > requirements - those that link with libselinux still need it in
15 > > > DEPEND of course) to remove the USE="selinux" conditional dependency
16 > > > from DEPEND.
17 > > >
18 > > > Given the discussion on dynamic dependencies and so, I am thinking
19 > > > about doing this as follows:
20 > > >
21 > > > 1. Create a tracker with separate bugs for every package where this
22 > > > change can be made
23 > > > 2. Give developers time to apply this (simple) change together with
24 > > > whatever other changes they were planning.
25 > > > 3. After 6 months or so, do the change myself (with revbump)
26 > > >
27 > > > [...]
28 > > >
29 > > > Is this a good approach to take?
30 > > >
31 > > > [...]
34 > > LGTM; we should avoid unnecessary bumps & rebuilds for trivial changes,
35 > > especially when a USE flag based dependency line is removed from DEPEND.
36 >
37 > Michał Górny told me on IRC that I might be approaching this incorrectly (or
38 > at least, inefficiently). I was working on the massive bug-spree (right now
39 > stopped around 22% of the packages to investigate) so I'm temporarily
40 > holding off until I'm certain.
41 >
42 > The only change I want to instill on packages is to remove the USE="selinux"
43 > specific dependency to a sec-policy/selinux-* package from the DEPEND
44 > variable. So something like:
45 >
46 > DEPEND="
47 > foo
48 > - bar
49 > - selinux? ( sec-policy/selinux-bez )"
50 > + bar"
51 >
52 > If I am allowed to do this change without revbumping, I can just stop making
53 > massive bug reports and do the change(s) myself...
54
55 You should have emphasized that the dependency will still be
56 in RDEPEND. As I said with QA hat on, such a change is fine since it
57 affects build-time dependencies only. People who installed the package
58 already are not affected.
61 Best regards,
62 Michał Górny