From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] overlay support current proposal?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:54:09
1 On 27/03/06, Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o> wrote:
2 > Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o> said:
3 > > Have you followed the threads in the past regarding using other
4 > > version control systems for portage? Some devs have done benchmarks
5 > > and found that there are blocking issues with subversion, particularly
6 > > because of its repo-wide revisions that prevent multiple commits from
7 > > happening simultaneously.
8 >
9 > In actuality, Subversion does 98% of the commit in an initial
10 > transaction, and the blocking only occurs in the last 2% with the FSFS
11 > filesystem. It really isn't an issue and shouldn't prevent us from
12 > adopting it.
13
14 All svn commits are atomic, and that requires some kind of global
15 lock. I'd say the (slight) performance penalty is worth it for that
16 feature alone. I'd also point out that the KDE project have everything
17 in a single svn repository and can manage >10,000 commits per month
18 with no problems. There are various testimonials around from people
19 claiming to be running svn on multiple GB repositories with >17,000
20 commits a month.
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list