From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Replacing fdisk with cfdisk in
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 03:46:08
1 On 22/08/2003 at 15:57:43(-0400), Jason Wever used 1.1K just to say:
2 > My vote would be for parted instead of either of these. fdisk can be
3 > buggy to the point of being unusable on sparc where parted works with no
4 > problems in the same scenario.
5
6 I few points I have against parted:
7
8 (parted) mkpart p 2000
9 End? .... how do I say "the end of the disk" here
10
11 I see that "print" would give us the size of the disk but the interface of
12 parted is frustrating.
13
14 fdisk has default values for start and end, pointing at the start and end of
15 free space -- very useful.
16
17 It is easier to create a 1G partition with fdisk using the "+1G" syntax. Parted
18 requires the starting and ending "megabyte".
19
20 It is easy to make a mistake with parted mostly because it *commits* *changes*
21 *immediately*. There is no undo.
22
23 Lastly I am not a sparc user. If parted is better for the sparc, I guess it
24 would be better to have parted there, but please, don't screw the x86 CDs.
27 / Georgi Georgiev / Possessions increase to fill the space /
28 \ chutz@×××.net \ available for their storage. -- Ryan \
29 / +81(90)6266-1163 / /