From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] zlib breakage
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:11:27
On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
> I believe something needs to be done with the zlib- and -r2 > packages currently in the tree.  The maintainer of zlib pushed those > revisions with a patch that alters macro identifiers, making Gentoo's zlib > incompatible with upstream.  As a result, a lot of packages stopped > building.  Bug reports for broken packages come in and then are being > modified to fit Gentoo's zlib. > > Breaking compatibility with upstream zlib also means that non-portage > software, the ones I install with "./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr && make > install", also won't build. > > It's a mess right now and it just doesn't look right.  The bug that deals > with it was locked from public view: > > > > Is there a plan for this, or will we have to live with what is essentially > an incompatible Gentoo fork of zlib?
It seemed to me like this was a silly problem from the outset. vapier did arguably the right thing, and if that means exposing some broken software, fine. We handle plenty of breakage worse than this, but I understand that it can be inconvenient. However, you completely lost any support when you said
> Yes, bad idea. But it's in my liberty to write code however I see fit.
That just makes me want to slap you. I'll echo what vapier said in response: it's absolutely your prerogative to do whatever you want, but it's not our responsibility to make sure that it works in Gentoo.
> It's a bad call. You've made plenty of those lately. This is just another one. > IMO, you don't have the skills and insight to mess with this stuff. So when you > try, breakage happens. I hope you retire soon.
Are you kidding me? Grow up.

Subject Author
[gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>