From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 23:27:38
On 09/24/2011 02:10 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 5:44 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@×××××.de> wrote: >> I believe something needs to be done with the zlib- and -r2 >> packages currently in the tree. The maintainer of zlib pushed those >> revisions with a patch that alters macro identifiers, making Gentoo's zlib >> incompatible with upstream. As a result, a lot of packages stopped >> building. Bug reports for broken packages come in and then are being >> modified to fit Gentoo's zlib. >> >> Breaking compatibility with upstream zlib also means that non-portage >> software, the ones I install with "./configure --prefix=$HOME/usr&& make >> install", also won't build. >> [...] > > It seemed to me like this was a silly problem from the outset. vapier > did arguably the right thing, and if that means exposing some broken > software, fine. We handle plenty of breakage worse than this, but I > understand that it can be inconvenient. > > However, you completely lost any support when you said > >> Yes, bad idea. But it's in my liberty to write code however I see fit. > > That just makes me want to slap you. > > I'll echo what vapier said in response: it's absolutely your > prerogative to do whatever you want, but it's not our responsibility > to make sure that it works in Gentoo.
The code is perfectly valid. You cannot force people to follow your coding standards. If it's valid C code, it doesn't matter that it contradicts your personal preferences. It's not your code and you don't have a saying in it. What's next, banning software that indents code with tabs instead of spaces?
>> It's a bad call. You've made plenty of those lately. This is just another one. >> IMO, you don't have the skills and insight to mess with this stuff. So when you >> try, breakage happens. I hope you retire soon. > > Are you kidding me? Grow up.
This was just another episode of Vapier's hostile and arrogant behavior towards users. Every time someone comes up with a valid argument of why he's wrong, the final answer is "don't care, I do what I please because I'm the dev and you're not." So my reply was the politest I could come up with without using the f-word.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o>
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>