From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] AMD64 Arch Testers needed urgently
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 10:40:25
1 On 2017-12-14 01:58, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 21:58:05 +0100
3 > Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> b) Because not all devs care about stable Gentoo, I would recommend
6 >> auto-stabilization: I.e. if a package is in the repository for x days
7 >> build bot would try to build the package and mark the package stable
8 >> if everything passes. If for some reason maintainer want to block a
9 >> specific version they could create a bug or set a flag in an already
10 >> existing bug which will cause build bot to ignore this version.
11 >
12 > Slightly modified suggestion:
13 >
14 > Add a flag called "autostabilize" with [unset], [y], [n]
15
16 Flag in Bugzilla?
19 > Default is 'unset', and if found unset after a given time, it flips to
20 > y and the stable bot gets queued up.
21 >
22 > If its set to 'n', then stable bot never does anything.
23 >
24 > This way maintainers who want to rush the stablebot on things they
25 > consider "safe" can get ahead of the queue.
26
27 Sounds good but the variant b was about full auto-stabilization. I.e.
28 the idea that we even don't require stabilization bugs anymore (like
29 Debian, where a package will move from SID to testing after some time if
30 nobody created a blocker bug).
31
32 We could auto-generate bugs but I am not sure if this is a good idea.
33 When mgorny set up autolinking of Github PRs there was some "bug spam"
34 when people lost control over Git and messed up the rebase (now
35 prevented via limits).
36
37 Also I am not sure how we should handle things like Gnome/KDE
38 stabilization which requires that a bunch of packages will be stabilized
39 at once. I.e. if bot detects a new ebuild of kde-frameworks/kservice
40 auto-stabilization is only allowed to kick in if it is a rev bump of an
41 already stable ebuild but shouldn't auto-start stabilization of next KDE
42 version on its own (at least I guess this is what we want).
43
44 But well, for the beginning we don't need the perfect solution. We can
45 start with an easy mode and blacklist most packages. So devs interested
46 can remove their packages from blacklist. And like said, build bot would
47 still handle stabilization bugs.
51 Regards,
52 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
53 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5