From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, robbat2@g.o, cardoe@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] renaming gentoo-oldnet
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 01:54:47
1 On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 15:37 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > Doug and Brian, I'm going to reply in a little more detail.
3 >
4 > On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 07:38:04PM -0700, Brian Dolbec wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 2013-08-03 at 21:03 -0500, Doug Goldstein wrote:
6 > > > On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > > On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 01:49:46AM +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
8 > > > >> On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 1:38 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > >> OK... so gentoo-networking? or just come up with own name? best-networking?
11 > > > >
12 > >
13 > > How about gen-net? It's nice, short and the name is more flexible if
14 > > the pkg is picked up by other distros (something bantied about during
15 > > previous discussions).
16 >
17 > Hmm, that is a little too cryptic maybe... Is gen "Gentoo? General?
18 > Generic?"
21 OK. that was the point like mgorny said. To keep Gentoo out of the name
22 so it is more likely to be picked up by other distros due to it's ease
23 of use and flexibility.
24
25 Since it is so flexible and handle so many configurations...
26
27 How about Multi-net? ;) (just one more for the fray...)
28
29 And yes, as dilfridge said, William, Robin, PLEASE end the bikeshed and
30 pick a decent name. Almost anything is better than having "old" in it.
34 > > > If we lose that flexibility and configurability then just give up on
35 > > > OpenRC right now cause its dead because all interesting features are
36 > > > gone and it'll just become an inferior init system that needs to be
37 > > > replaced.
38 > > >
39 > >
40 > > ++
41 >
42 > As I have said before, none of this is an attempt to kill or deprecate
43 > anything. It is just re-arranging things by moving the old gentoo
44 > network stack into its own package. There are no plans to stop you from
45 > using it if you want to use it. There is definitely nothing being said
46 > here about the state of OpenRc in general.
47 >
48 > William
51 hmm, re-reading that, I was off the way I ++'d it. I know there are no
52 plans to drop support for it. What I was plus-ing was more the fact
53 that with the oldnet naming, it is more and more likely for users to
54 migrate away from it. After all, it's the old way as it's name
55 suggests. With that happening, there will be less and less need for
56 openrc. And openrc dieing a slow death.
57
58 P.S. no need to expand further on this. It was just a clarification
59
60 Long Live OpenRC!!! :D
61 --
62 Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>