From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: robbat2@g.o, cardoe@g.o, dolsen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] renaming gentoo-oldnet
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 20:38:05
1 Doug and Brian, I'm going to reply in a little more detail.
2
3 On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 07:38:04PM -0700, Brian Dolbec wrote:
4 > On Sat, 2013-08-03 at 21:03 -0500, Doug Goldstein wrote:
5 > > On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 7:30 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > On Sun, Aug 04, 2013 at 01:49:46AM +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
7 > > >> On Sun, Aug 4, 2013 at 1:38 AM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
8 >
9 > > >> OK... so gentoo-networking? or just come up with own name? best-networking?
10 > > >
11 >
12 > > You and I have had this talk more times than I can remember at this
13 > > point. Using the name "oldnet" sucks and was one of the worst choices
14 > > possible. Looking through our IRC chats, I had also suggested
15 > > gentoo-networking.
16
17 I thought about gentoo-networking, but that sucks in a way too because
18 it implies that everyone on gentoo should be using it.
19
20 That's not quite right because we have at least five network stacks I
21 can think of off the top of my head, and OpenRc upstream supports
22 another.
23
24 - OpenRc upstream supports newnet, which I have played with, and I
25 believe people on Gentoo are using successfully.
26 - what we have been calling the oldnet stack, which most gentoo users
27 have been using.
28 - dhcpcd in standalone mode.
29 - wicd
30 - NetworkManager
31 - badvpn
32
33 > How about gen-net? It's nice, short and the name is more flexible if
34 > the pkg is picked up by other distros (something bantied about during
35 > previous discussions).
36
37 Hmm, that is a little too cryptic maybe... Is gen "Gentoo? General?
38 Generic?"
39
40 > > If we lose that flexibility and configurability then just give up on
41 > > OpenRC right now cause its dead because all interesting features are
42 > > gone and it'll just become an inferior init system that needs to be
43 > > replaced.
46 > ++
47
48 As I have said before, none of this is an attempt to kill or deprecate
49 anything. It is just re-arranging things by moving the old gentoo
50 network stack into its own package. There are no plans to stop you from
51 using it if you want to use it. There is definitely nothing being said
52 here about the state of OpenRc in general.
53
54 William