From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more up to date minimal install cd
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:55:27
1 On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 08:21 +0100, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > What do you think of a simplified handbook ? One that presents a lot
3 > fewer choices to the user, in order to be less confusing. I don't mean
4 > replacing the current handbook which is one great piece of work, but
5 > writing a "Gentoo in 10 easy steps" kind of guide.
6 >
7 > One of us may even have written one already. If not, I'm willing to
8 > write or help writing one if that's considered a good idea.
9
10 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86-quickinstall.xml
11
12 I'm not chiming in on the rest of the thread right now, since I am about
13 to head on a plane and won't be available for a bit, but to put it
14 simply, I have no plans on releasing *any* kind of nightly *anything* so
15 long as Release Engineering still gets minimal testing from only a
16 *tiny* subset of our developer pool when we are basically *begging* for
17 it. I'm not expecting the level of required testing to diminish just
18 because we do more builds, and in fact I expect it to increase. With
19 the current participation level, I just don't see it as possible.
20 Remember, we switched from quarterly to bi-annual releases for a reason.
21 We simply didn't have the man power, CPU power, nor time to do vigorous
22 enough testing in the much more shortened time frame. I'm going to be
23 asking for Release Testers again once I return, and if last year's turn
24 out was any indicator (50+ people volunteering, about 5 actually helping
25 *at all*), the chances of a project such as nightly builds ever taking
26 off is well beyond our means at this time.
29 Chris Gianelloni
30 Release Engineering Strategic Lead
31 Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
32 Games Developer/Council Member/Foundation Trustee
33 Gentoo Foundation