From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:11:03
1 On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 08:01 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
2 > > I've already stated my preference for not doing *anything* outside of
3 > > merging packages in the stages.
4 > With respect, this is a little confusing. I didn't get past the learning
5 > curve for catalyst, but it's clearly not the same as simply merging
6 > packages, or you wouldn't need a special tool.
7
8 The tool does things like setting up the chroot. The code run by
9 catalyst to get a stage3 from a stage2, not counting things like chroot
10 setup, is "emerge -e world" just like going from a stage2->stage3 by
11 hand. Anyway, you don't really need to understand it, as I do, and
12 vapier does. If you're really interested, learn a bit about catalyst.
13 Uninformed opinions help no one.
14
15 > It seemed to me that a clean, *simple* solution which would work for any
16 > future packages that might also need this functionality was proposed. Why
17 > not just use it? It's only one command, and the standardisation would mean
18 > users could rely on the mechanism for system recovery.
19
20 Uhh... what does adding "emerge --config" have to do with catalyst?
21 There's nothing stopping vapier/anyone from adding the emerge --config
22 steps to the ebuilds. I simply said that I'm not wanting to add code to
23 run those to catalyst for the reasons I have already stated. In no way
24 does that impact the usefulness of the config code for end users. It
25 only affects what goes into the stages.
26
27 > Or am I missing some deeper technical implication?
28
29 Yup.
32 Chris Gianelloni
33 Release Engineering Strategic Lead