From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 07:08:57
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 17:45 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 >> the compromise is simple: catalyst runs --config at the end of stage3 for
5 >> appropriate packages, but as to what those things actually do is left in
6 >> the ebuilds.
7 >
8 > I've already stated my preference for not doing *anything* outside of
9 > merging packages in the stages.
10 With respect, this is a little confusing. I didn't get past the learning
11 curve for catalyst, but it's clearly not the same as simply merging
12 packages, or you wouldn't need a special tool.
13
14 > Were this >stage3, I wouldn't care.
15 > Anyway, I'd much rather leave everything as it is now than add the
16 > emerge --config stuff. You're free to add it to the ebuilds, of course,
17 > which would satisfy the people that want it, but I would prefer not add
18 > it to the stages, even if it is documented in the Handbook, as it isn't
19 > required. Basically, I'd rather we either throw it into the earlier
20 > stages, or not do it at all. You've given good reason on why, while
21 > technically feasible since we're only caring about bash at this time, it
22 > is still a bad idea as it opens us up to yet another slippery slope. I
23 > completely see your point, which is why I'm taking the stance that
24 > things are best left as they are now.
25 >
26 It seemed to me that a clean, *simple* solution which would work for any
27 future packages that might also need this functionality was proposed. Why
28 not just use it? It's only one command, and the standardisation would mean
29 users could rely on the mechanism for system recovery.
30
31 Or am I missing some deeper technical implication?
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list