From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Why isn't /root/.bash_profile in the stage tarballs?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 19:55:43
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 08:01 +0100, Steve Long wrote:
4 >> > I've already stated my preference for not doing *anything* outside of
5 >> > merging packages in the stages.
6 >> With respect, this is a little confusing. I didn't get past the learning
7 >> curve for catalyst, but it's clearly not the same as simply merging
8 >> packages, or you wouldn't need a special tool.
9 >
10 > The tool does things like setting up the chroot. The code run by
11 > catalyst to get a stage3 from a stage2, not counting things like chroot
12 > setup, is "emerge -e world" just like going from a stage2->stage3 by
13 > hand. Anyway, you don't really need to understand it, as I do, and
14 > vapier does. If you're really interested, learn a bit about catalyst.
15 > Uninformed opinions help no one.
16 >
17 So I don't need to understand it do understand the argument, or I do?
18 Thanks for conceding that it does a little bit more than merging packages,
19 in any case.
20
21 >> It seemed to me that a clean, *simple* solution which would work for any
22 >> future packages that might also need this functionality was proposed. Why
23 >> not just use it? It's only one command, and the standardisation would
24 >> mean users could rely on the mechanism for system recovery.
25 >
26 > Uhh... what does adding "emerge --config" have to do with catalyst?
27 > There's nothing stopping vapier/anyone from adding the emerge --config
28 > steps to the ebuilds. I simply said that I'm not wanting to add code to
29 > run those to catalyst for the reasons I have already stated. In no way
30 > does that impact the usefulness of the config code for end users. It
31 > only affects what goes into the stages.
32 >
33 Well clearly it's affected at least one user (or was it a dev; it doesn't
34 matter does it really?) who stated it affects others. If vapier's solution
35 of adding *one* command line to catalyst doesn't fulfil the user
36 requirement, could you state how?
37
38 >> Or am I missing some deeper technical implication?
39 >
40 > Yup.
41 >
42 Great. What exactly? How does fulfilling the user requirement with vapier's
43 solution mess up catalyst?
47 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list